Have you been a fashionista since you were a kid? Do your friends recognise your unique sense of fashion? Have you thought about putting up your own clothing store? Maybe it’s time to put those thoughts into action.
From deciding what products to sell to looking for the best shop fittings here in NZ, the whole task of setting up shop can be overwhelming. Don’t fret; these tips will help you get started on your first fashion adventure.
Starting a fashion retail business
1. Give birth to your brand. Create a vision of what you want your store to be and how you want your customers to feel when they buy from your store. Think of a brand name that will show who your brand is and how you differ from the rest.
2. Use your brand to visualise your boutique. You can use store layout apps to help you imagine your store. But don’t just think of the physical layout. Take into consideration how your customers will feel when they’re there.
3. Create a solid business plan. This is important to keep your business organised and to present your business to investors. You can read books or research online about how to make a business plan.
4. Do your research on the lines you want to carry. There may be brands that have stringent requirements for those who want to carry them. Be ready to present your business plan to them, too.
5. Choose the perfect location. By now, you’ve probably had some places pooled and ready to choose from. Consider the environment and if there are any direct competitors.
6. Set up shop and start your website. You can do this simultaneously if you have a team to help you out. Remember to get on social media platforms to establish your presence in the market.
Remember that your passion is the best business idea. Let that thought be the fuel for your creativity and pour it into your fashion business. You’ll never know when you can be the next fashion icon.